How to Get Better At Anything
- WTFM, Write The Flip’n Manual
- Do a lightning talk about it :)
Make it Fun
- Trophy anyone?
- If it can’t be made fun, make it fun.
- Slowly with intent
- Pressure cycles: none, some, actual, intolerable.
- The practice of practice deserves its own talk.
Better not good
- Good is the killer of better.
- People tend to stop because good is unreachable.
- People tend to stop after they’re good enough.
- If we aim to get better, we’ll eventually be better than good.
- Progressive goals. OMG! I forgot goal setting!
Learn, don’t Memorize
- Learning is understanding
- Understanding is connecting the new thing to an old thing.
- Computers memorize. You’re not a computer.
Learn with others
- With the Internet you’re never alone and always alone.
- Actually talk with people!
- If you’re not cheating, you’re not trying.
- Reverse engineer the cheat, don’t actually cheat!
How I got better at Vim
- RTFM –
- WTFM – Blogging, figure out other people’s problems :/
- Practice – Wrote stuff that wasn’t needed immediately, my own notes.
- Don’t Memorize – Vim has grammar like English. Oooh… Reconnection!
- Learn with Others – We have vim users, teach them (but don’t let them know you’re only one step ahead)
- Cheat – Look at other’s Vimscript to figure out that cool thing they did.
What do you want to get better at next?!?